RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

when someone is going through a divorce and a judge says blank

Customer Question

when someone is going through a divorce and a judge says blank shall sign a quit claim deed what does that mean
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.

JACUSTOMER-k5yaic9t- :

hello

RayAnswers :

What this means is that in a divorce one of the parties got the marital house.The party that did not get the house is required to sign a quitclaim deed to transfer any interest they had in the property here to the party that got the house.Then that party has the legal title to the property.I will get you a a form here for reference if you give me a sec.

JACUSTOMER-k5yaic9t- :

ok and it says that he shall sign but i just found out that he hasnt signed it and is trying to take her to court, to force her to sell, can he do that

RayAnswers :

Here is the form that you would use to do the quit claim of the property.It gets filed in the county clerk's office real property records.

JACUSTOMER-k5yaic9t- :

and if he didn't sign it would that make him in contempt of court

RayAnswers :

He can try to seek modification here.The judge decides who gets the house and whether he gets held in contempt for failure to sign or alternatively the judge modifies here and rules something else.But it is common that one party gets the house and the other is supposed to quitclaim their interest to the the one that got it.Judge will have to rule on all of this.But the form I gave you is the one they use here.

RayAnswers :

This would be a contempt situation because he was ordered to sign it.

RayAnswers :

He can be jailed and fined for contempt.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.