Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

So it is MOnday morning and I need to pay first of the month

So it is MOnday morning and I need to pay first of the month bills, that I have managed for 28 years. Is it safe to pay down our credit card, as I planned to do before the recent events of my life.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you commonly pay down the credit cards, there won't be anything unusual in that. If these are debts that were incurred during the marriage, they would need to be divided between you anyway, so there's no real harm in using marital assets to pay them. Also, you would be freeing up space on the cards if either of you needed to use them, which is fine. If you've carried a balance on the card for years and you suddenly pay $5,000 to pay off a card in your name only, that might look a little odd to the judge. But, if you're talking about making payments on joint cards that need to be paid, it should be fine.

Also, I don't think this is what you're suggesting, but you wouldn't want to not pay them, because that would hurt your credit.