lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

I have a child age 14 that has been living with me since february,

I have a child age 14 that has been living with me since february, I take her to all her dr. appointments, to and from school when school was in. I feed and cloth her,she doesnt want to go home with het fathet she cries when he comes. He is very mean and emvarasses and humiliates hetmr, a very heavy drinker and has beat her before and dss was called by a teacher, and they came to her gome. She wants to live with myself and my daughters and she calls me mom. What can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

You can either work through DSS, which is free or you can hire a private attorney and try to get custody. Since you apparently not a relative, it is going to be very difficult for you to get custody either way since you are not an approved foster parent. Thanks for caring but the legal system is against you.