Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

my husband passed away. My 3 adult children hate me. I am

Customer Question

my husband passed away. My 3 adult children hate me. I am fighting with one of them over custody of the minor child.

My divorce attorney is done with the case.

I am penniless. Should I go to his funeral. he is being buried today.

my children don't want me around so what should i do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your husband and your situation.

Going to your husband's funeral is a personal decision which you should make based on the past and present circumstances of your marriage and also while keeping in mind how your decision to attend or not attend would affect your children.

Unfortunately you cannot force your adult children to spend time with you, but possibly you can suggest some sort of family therapy to them to rebuild the relationship that might not be completely lost.

As far as the legal guardianship question, that I have answered for your before, if you can not afford a private attorney, I would suggest that you contact your local legal aid society and they might be able to offer free or low cost legal services to you if you are indigent.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the support was never finalized and my attorney knew my husband was going to die. Why didn't he finalize the support?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
This is a question that you should pose to your divorce attorney, as there is no way for anyone, either than this attorney to guess the exact reasons.

If you do feel that your divorce attorney has failed to provide you with adequate level of legal representation and/or acted unethically you do have an option to file a formal complaint to Illinois Bar Association and/or consult with an attorney who specializes in legal malpractice.