LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

Regarding the situation as previously described, he has written

Customer Question

Regarding the situation as previously described, he has written me an email claiming to have handed me the child and questioning how him and I could have such different accounts of events. I am overly infuriated that he is using our son to play games. The exchange took place in the presence of 4 anonymous residents.He is also via email, painting me as though I am the hostile one and as though I am witholding information from him, which I am not. He is clearly building a case of some sort, unfortunately built on lies. What may he be trying to accomplish?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.

Good morning,

Thank you for asking for me.

Unless you, or someone else told him how infuriated you were at the exchange, and why, he would have no reason to know---nor to deny leaving your son on the sidewalk.

He may be trying to document the facts differently than you reported so he can use his denial as evidence if his behavior becomes an issue in a custody matter. Or he could simply be trying to control you---trying to make you second guess yourself. This a fairly typical game played by people with power and control issues.

The best thing that you can do is to minimize contact with him, don't exchange emails with him, and respond to calls only as regards XXXXX XXXXX avoid conversations which are argumentative in the least. This may make him frustrated as he takes power from trying to control you and manipulate you---so be aware of that and don;t fall into his trap of argument, anger and hate.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answer. Until then your payment is simply held by and not shared with me. So, please click the ACCEPT icon if my Answer has been informative, and helpful to your understanding of the law. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
People claim that he is trying to "bait" me. Yes, I did send him an email letting him know that his behavior was in fact unacceptable not to mention unsafe. That's when the denial came. So that it is his word against mine. ... Going back to baiting me...exactly what may he be trying to achieve? (aside from upsetting me)
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.

Good morning,

Well, from a legal perspective, I see absolutely nothing that he might accomplish by his childish behavior---so I will have to presume that he is simply showing his butt and being an idiot---nothing to worry about all that much. It simply appears that he is playing head games with you. Best strategy is likely to just ignore him.

Good luck dealing with, yet another child.