Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

My only income is SSDI. I know that a judge in a divorce case

Customer Question

My only income is SSDI. I know that a judge in a divorce case can order me to pay maintenance. But is that enforceable?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

Are you asking if the judge can order you to pay spousal support?

Do you have a lot of assets?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Alex,

No, I am asking if such an order would be enforceable. Someone told me that I don't have to give up my SSDI, even if ordered to by a NY court, because it is given to me by the Federal government as an insurance settlement.

The only asset I have is about $70,000 equity in my home and I know that the judge can do as he sees fit as far as the equitable distribution goes.

I really just want to know if an order to pay spousal support would be enforceable with SSDI as my only income. Like, it is direct deposited into my personal bank account. Would the state be able to garnish it if I refused to pay the support?

Thanks, Kevin
Generally no, as SSDI can not be garnished even if someone is not paying spousal support and is not even considered an income for the purposes of child/spousal support and/or bankruptcy proceedings.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!