Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law

My niece is a Mexican citizen with a child whos father is

My niece is a Mexican citizen with a child who's father is an American citizen. How does she get/file for child support from the father?
Hello there:

I understand that your niece is a Mexican citizen and the father is American. Where does the child reside?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The child resides in Mexico with the mother

Child support is awarded through the courts of the country of the child's residence. She would need to contact the local family court directly or through an attorney and request the forms needed to collect child support. Once she gets an order for support, there is a treaty between Mexico and the U.S. that will allow for its enforcement over international borders; she would just need to register it in the state where the father resides.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.