lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

My mom passed away today. We dont know if she had a will. She

My mom passed away today. We dont know if she had a will. She had mentioned something to my brother that she had already purchased a burial plot? We think we found the paperwork for a small $7000 dollar life insurance policy. What is to be done about her debt, bank accounts, etc?
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

Someone will have to be appointed as her personal representative by the probate court. Texas requires that for probate you have to retain an attorney. If there is no real estate, then you may be able to use the small estate affidavit.

http://www.co.cameron.tx.us/countyclerk/docs/AffidavitSmallEstate.pdf
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anyone responsible for her debts or do they disappear with her debt?
Only her estate is responsible for the debts. If she owes more than her assets, then it is not worth the time and effort for a relative to do an estate.