Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

What is the process to file for legal guardianship of an adult

What is the process to file for legal guardianship of an adult family member in the State of Texas?

Our mother passed away in April. I have two brothers that are mentally challenged. They have been living with my mother their entire life. My mother and 2 brothers live with my brother Felix and his wife. My brother Felix and I need to apply for legal guardianship of my two brothers, Ernest and Rudy.

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: What is the process to file for legal guardianship of an adult family member in the State of Texas?

Response: You need to file separate petition for guardianship of each brother. The petitions for Guardianship must be filed in the District Court in the County where your brothers reside. The forms for filing the petitions are available at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office. The forms are self-explanatory. However, if you need assistance completing the forms, ask the Staff.

Use the link below to find the proper District Court:

http://www.courts.state.tx.us/courts/dclinks.asp