Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

Can my 16 year old niece become emancipated if her and her

Customer Question

Can my 16 year old niece become emancipated if her and her boyfriend get married?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

She would normally be considered emancipated if she marries, but she cannot marry under CA law without her parent's consent typically.

If the parents are not willing to consent to the marriage, then this is normally not a reasonable option to escape abuse.

Instead, child protective services should be called to investigate. They will normally interview the child who can inform them of the instances of abuse. This could aid a family member in petition a court for guardianship of the child.

Any other documentation of abuse/neglect or witness testimony to support the petition for guardianship would be helpful since parental rights are constitutionally protected.

Good luck and take care.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and all the best to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok my niece is 7 and half months pregnant
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
This does not change my answer from a legal standpoint. She must still seek parental consent to marriage because she is underage.