How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6256
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has informed me that she is filing for divorce based

This answer was rated:

My wife has informed me that she is filing for divorce based on a family violence incident that occurred 1 month ago where neither party was arrested but she subsequently moved out. She moved to another county. Will she have to file in the county I live in (paulding county gerogia) or can she file in her current county and have me served. I do not want a divorce and have stated that I am willing to do anything to make this work. She disagrees and will not even tell me where she lives. We both have separate finances, have been married for 4 years and her income is higher than mine, and she has never contributed to any of the household expenses. Can she require me to pay any of her legal expenses? Can I require her to attend counseling sessions. How long can I prolong an actual divorce decree.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


Unfortunately she can ask for a divorce in GA just based on irreconcilable differences. There is a 30 day waiting period after divorce is filed before the court can actually issue the divorce decree.


GA divorce residency requirements state that a complaint for a divorce must be filed in the Superior Court of the defendant's county of residence.


If her income is higher than yours, then you will not likely have to pay her legal fees.


I am not aware of any law that requires her to submit to counseling before divorce.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".



Maverick and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In response to my wife's complaint for divorce should I respond with Form 70H Notice of Intent to defend (divorce) and mail to her lawyer and wait for a response, or should I also submit an "Answer" and deny that the marriage is irretrievably broken and any other allegations. I am trying to delay any court appearance for as long as possible, until she changes her mind.

You will need to file both otherwise she will get a quick divorce by default.


Maverick and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions