Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can grandparents have temporary custody of grandchildren

Can grandparents have temporary custody of grandchildren until their parents get jobs, a place to live to raise their children properly. My grandchildren live is a house with ten other adults, they sleep on the floor, get fed junk food. My grandson is three years old and weighs 30 pounds. The whole household smokes crack, my son is an alcoholic drinks vodka all day. That is not a life for a 3-year-old and an 18 month old. xxxxx
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: Can grandparents have temporary custody of grandchildren until their parents get jobs, a place to live to raise their children properly. My grandchildren live is a house with ten other adults, they sleep on the floor, get fed junk food. My grandson is three years old and weighs 30 pounds. The whole household smokes crack, my son is an alcoholic drinks vodka all day. That is not a life for a 3-year-old and an 18 month old.

Response: It depends. If the parents agree, you can have an attorney prepare a temporary custody agreement between you and the parents, or you can obtain sample temporary custody agreement online, without involving the Courts so that you can have custody of the children until the parents get their acts together. If the parents do not want to give up custody, then you must file Petition for Temporary Guardianship of the Children with the Court and get approved before you can take the children. With temporary Guardianship, you have to tell the Court why you need the Guardianship and why it would be in the best interests of the children, just like you did in your narrative here. The forms for filing for Guardianship are available at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office. The forms are self-explanatory. However, if you need assistance completing the forms, ask the Staff.

You can also obtain the guardianship forms online:

http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/courtforms/juvenile/juvguardindex.htm

http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/courtforms/