RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

Hi guys, I hope that you could help me Last month the wife

Hi guys, I hope that you could help me
Last month the wife and I singed an “Agreement for judgment”, in the agreement there is a “child care costs” section. In that section it says “Respondent shall pay reasonable child care costs related to employment or necessary job training in the amount of $260.00, per month:” and in the bottom of that it is checked the “Each party shall pay one-half.” section.

She changed daycare centers and the new one is more expensive, My question is, Do I have to pay the 260 plus the difference to cover the one half of the new daycare center or can I continue to only play to her the 260 a month.?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.

Customer:

Hello, and good evening to you to

RayAnswers :

You only have to pay the $260 a month as the orders state.She has to file to modify it here and the court decides whether she gets more.Until then save your money as you are in compliance with the court's orders.

RayAnswers :

She bears the burden of filing to change this and you can argue that $260 a month is all you should pay as a reasonable amount.You might get the judge to agree and at the worst it will take her months to get this to court.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

Customer:

Also child servicess is asking me to get meddical insurance for the child at my work, can I get her to pay for half of that or get them not to make me get coberage for the child?

RayAnswers :

Give me a sec and let me look that up.

Customer:

ok

RayAnswers :

They can force you to pay for this here under California support law.

RayAnswers :

750. "Health insurance coverage" as used in this article includes all of the following: (a) Vision care and dental care coverage whether the vision care or dental care coverage is part of existing health insurance coverage or is issued as a separate policy or plan. (b) Provision for the delivery of health care services by a fee for service, health maintenance organization, preferred provider organization, or any other type of health care delivery system under which medical services could be provided to a dependent child of an absent parent. 3751. (a) (1) Support orders issued or modified pursuant to this chapter shall include a provision requiring the child support obligor to keep the agency designated under Title IV-D of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. Sec. 651 et seq.) informed of whether the obligor has health insurance coverage at a reasonable cost and, if so, the health insurance policy information. (2) In any case in which an amount is set for current support, the court shall require that health insurance coverage for a supported child shall be maintained by either or both parents if that insurance is available at no cost or at a reasonable cost to the parent. Health insurance coverage shall be rebuttably presumed to be reasonable in cost if the cost to the responsible parent providing medical support does not exceed 5 percent of his or her gross income. In applying the 5 percent for the cost of health insurance, the cost is the difference between self-only and family coverage. If the obligor is entitled to a low-income adjustment as provided in paragraph (7) of subdivision (b) of Section 4055, medical support shall be deemed not reasonable, unless the court determines that not requiring medical support would be unjust and inappropriate in the particular case. If the court determines that the cost of health insurance coverage is not reasonable, the court shall state its reasons on the record. If the court determines that, although the obligor is entitled to a low-income adjustment, not requiring medical support would be unjust and inappropriate, the court shall state its reasons on the record. (b) If the court determines that health insurance coverage is not available at no cost or at a reasonable cost, the court's order for support shall contain a provision that specifies that health insurance coverage shall be obtained if it becomes available at no cost or at a reasonable cost. Upon health insurance coverage at no cost or at a reasonable cost becoming available to a parent, the parent shall apply for that coverage. (c) The court's order for support shall require the parent who, at the time of the order or subsequently, provides health insurance coverage for a supported child to seek continuation of coverage for the child upon attainment of the limiting age for a dependent child under the health insurance coverage if the child meets the criteria specified under Section 1373 of the Health and Safety Code or Section 10277 or 10278 of the Insurance Code and that health insurance coverage is available at no cost or at a reasonable cost to the parent or parents, as applicable. 3751.5. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, an employer or insurer shall not deny enrollment of a child under the health insurance coverage of a child's parent on any of the following grounds: (1) The child was born out of wedlock. (2) The child is not claimed as a dependent on the parent's federal income tax return. (3) The child does not reside with the parent or within the insurer's service area. (b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, in any case in which a parent is required by a court or administrative order to provide health insurance coverage for a child and the parent is eligible for family health coverage through an employer or an insurer, the employer or insurer shall do all of the following, as applicable: (1) Permit the parent to enroll under health insurance coverage any child who is otherwise eligible to enroll for that coverage, without regard to any enrollment period restrictions. (2) If the parent is enrolled in health insurance coverage but fails to apply to obtain coverage of the child, enroll that child under the health coverage upon presentation of the court order or request by the local child support agency, the other parent or person having custody of the child, or the Medi-Cal program. (3) The employer or insurer shall not disenroll or eliminate coverage of a child unless either of the following applies: (A) The employer has eliminated family health insurance coverage for all of the employer's employees. (B) The employer or insurer is provided with satisfactory written evidence that either of the following apply: (i) The court order or administrative order is no longer in effect or is terminated pursuant to Section 3770. (ii) The child is or will be enrolled in comparable health insurance coverage through another insurer that will take effect not later than the effective date of the child's disenrollment. (c) In any case in which health insurance coverage is provided for a child pursuant to a court or administrative order, the insurer shall do all of the following: (1) Provide any information, including, but not limited to, the health insurance membership or identification card regarding the child, the evidence of coverage and disclosure form, and any other information provided to the covered parent about the child's health care coverage to the noncovered parent having custody of the child or any other person having custody of the child and to the local child support agency when requested by the local child support agency. (2) Permit the noncovered parent or person having custody of the child, or a provider with the approval of the noncovered parent or person having custody, to submit claims for covered services without the approval of the covered parent. (3) Make payment on claims submitted in accordance with subparagraph (2) directly to the noncovered parent or person having custody, the provider, or to the Medi-Cal program. Payment on claims for services provided to the child shall be made to the covered parent for claims submitted or paid by the covered parent. (d) For purposes of this section, "insurer" includes every health care service plan, self-insured welfare benefit plan, including those regulated pursuant to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (29 U.S.C. Sec. 1001, et seq.), self-funded employer plan, disability insurer, nonprofit hospital service plan, labor union trust fund, employer, and any other similar plan, insurer, or entity offering a health coverage plan. (e) For purposes of this section, "person having custody of the child" is defined as a legal guardian, a caregiver who is authorized to enroll the child in school or to authorize medical care for the child pursuant to Section 6550, or a person with whom the child resides. (f) For purposes of this section, "employer" has the meaning provided in Section 5210. (g) For purposes of this section, the insurer shall notify the covered parent and noncovered parent having custody of the child or any other person having custody of the child in writing at any time that health insurance for the child is terminated. (h) The requirements of subdivision (g) shall not apply unless the court, employer, or person having custody of the child provides the insurer with one of the following: (1) A qualified medical child support order that meets the requirements of subdivision (a) of Section 1169 of Title 29 of the United States Code. (2) A health insurance coverage assignment or assignment order made pursuant to Section 3761. (3) A national medical support notice made pursuant to Section 3773. (i) The noncovered parent or person having custody of the child may contact the insurer, by telephone or in writing, and request information about the health insurance coverage for the child. Upon request of the noncovered parent or person having custody of the child, the insurer shall provide the requested information that is specific to the health insurance coverage for the child. 3752. (a) If the local child support agency has been designated as the assigned payee for child support, the court shall order the parent to notify the local child support agency upon applying for and obtaining health insurance coverage for the child within a reasonable period of time. (b) The local child support agency shall obtain a completed medical form from the parent in accordance with Section 17422 and shall forward the completed form to the State Department of Health Services. (c) In those cases where the local child support agency is providing medical support enforcement services, the local child support agency shall provide the parent or person having custody of the child with information pertaining to the health insurance policy that has been secured for the child. 3752.5. (a) A child support order issued or modified pursuant to this division shall include a provision requiring the child support obligor to keep the obligee informed of whether the obligor has health insurance made available through the obligor's employer or has other group health insurance and, if so, the health insurance policy information. The support obligee under a child support order shall inform the support obligor of whether the obligee has health insurance made available through the employer or other group health insurance and, if so, the health insurance policy information. (b) A child support order issued or modified pursuant to this division shall include a provision requiring the child support obligor and obligee to provide the information described in subdivision (a) for a child or an adult who meets the criteria for continuation of health insurance coverage upon attaining the limiting age pursuant to Section 1373 of the Health and Safety Code or Section 10277 or 10278 of the Insurance Code. (c) The Judicial Council shall modify the form of the order for health insurance coverage (family law) to notify child support obligors of the requirements of this section and of Section 3752. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Judicial Council shall not be required to modify the form of the order for health insurance coverage (family law) to include the provisions described in subdivision (b) until January 1, 2010. 3753. The cost of the health insurance shall be in addition to the child support amount ordered under Article 2 (commencing with Section 4050), with allowance for the costs of health insurance actually obtained given due consideration under subdivision (d) of Section 4059.

RayAnswers :

Sorry its so long but botXXXXX XXXXXne is it is considered part of child support .

Customer:

Now that I am spending more time with the child, could I get the child support to go down ?

RayAnswers :

Yes if you have more time with kid in your possession the court can reduce your support

RayAnswers :

You may want to file a motion to modify support yourself

RayAnswers :

Self help with free forms

Customer:

When you fill out an "Income and Expense Declaration" in the part that ask you to fill out the people that live with me, is that the people that live in the same house that I do or just the people who I am responsible for?

RayAnswers :

RayAnswers :

It's any people that you are responsible for--if you have other dependents that you support for instance

Customer:

on the "child care costs" section, the "each party shall pay one-half" does that refer to one half of the child care at the time of filling the agreement, witch came out to 260 or does this refer to something else?

RayAnswers :

Well here the court set the amount.If she takes you back to court the judge decides whether that amount should be increased because of the change.If your time of possession has increased you should file your own motion to modify so the court considers all of the issues together.You would have leverage to them make some kind of deal rather than just giving up and paying more.

Customer:

Thanks Ray, you have been very helpfull.

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years as a family law lawyer .