Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

I live inNew Jersey and I was married in las vegas using my

Customer Question

I live inNew Jersey and I was married in las vegas using my drivers liscense as identification for marriage certifercate, however my name is XXXXX XXXXX my first husband which is on my drivers liscense and @nd marriage certifercate. I was never divorced from my first husband because I dont know where he is and havent seen him in 9 years. Is my second marriage legal?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

Under NJ law, the second marriage would typically be void if you were not divorce from your first spouse.

Therefore, your marriage would not be valid and you would still need to obtain a divorce from your first spouse.

You should also pursue an annulment of your second marriage so there can be no charge of bigamy.

Good luck and take care.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.