AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
10805288

i have a social security benefits qyuestion....which cayegory

i have a social security benefits qyuestion....which cayegory do i choose
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

You can ask your question and I will try to answer. I will send it to the correct category if necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok...kinda drawn out...my kids draw disability checks from their dad, have for 8 years,and each time one of them would turn 18, theyd stop receiving a chec, but the total amount never changed, it was just split between the remaining kids not yet 18. Due to MS, I became disabled last year. SS told me kids could only draw from one parent, and that was my husband. Months later they raised my kids checks, and when I called and asked why (was large amount) they said they had been underpaid and were rasing their monthly amount. But I thought it had to do with me receiving Disability.

Anyway, I called SS twice in last three months, older daughter was turning 18, and asked them would the entire benefit amount be sent to my remaining child. they said yes, I even asked them the exact amount, and they agreed.

Today received youngest check in the amount she was previously drawing, not the entire benefit amount.

SS says no one will be in until tues to tell me why. Do anyof you know?

Each child originally drew 420.00 a mnth, then it increased to 845.00 per child, (1690.00 mnthly) now I received only 845.00 . their father earns 1700.00 a month and I receive 800.00 a month. Any ideas?

Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure if anyone online can answer but I will forward your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No thats about it....Ive never in all my life seen anything like it....thanks

Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 5 years ago.

Ok...kinda drawn out...my kids draw disability checks from their dad, have for 8 years,and each time one of them would turn 18, theyd stop receiving a chec, but the total amount never changed, it was just split between the remaining kids not yet 18. Due to MS, I became disabled last year. OK, so you collect on your own record. Dad is disabled and he collects. Kids have been receiving dependents' benefits on dad's record.

SS told me kids could only draw from one parent, and that was my husband. Presumably on is record is great than on your record, yes?

Months later they raised my kids checks, and when I called and asked why (was large amount) they said they had been underpaid and were rasing their monthly amount. But I thought it had to do with me receiving Disability. When they do something funky and you call them to inquire, and they reassure you that all is legit, please consider writing a confirming letter, mailed certified r.r.r. to the person you speak with (or the manager of the field office), with regard to what you were told and "please contact me immediately if my understanding is in anyway incorrect..." Many a mistake is made, it ends up being determined to be an overpayment years later, and the recipient then has to pay it back, making tight finances even tighter. At least a confirming letter shows that you had reason to rely on the payment as accurate...

SS says no one will be in until tues to tell me why. Do anyof you know? I believe you were misinformed. Generally a child get up to 1/2 of a parent's benefit, not 100%. I believe you were misinformed when you called SSA. $845 would appear to be correct for 1 child.

Each child originally drew 420.00 a mnth, then it increased to 845.00 per child, (1690.00 mnthly) now I received only 845.00 . their father earns 1700.00 a month and I receive 800.00 a month. Any ideas? Yes, the new number seems correct, unfortunately. See here: http://ssa.gov/pubs/10085.html#howmuch

I hope this helps clarify for you.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.