lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

I have been served divorce papers by my wife. I was gifted

I have been served divorce papers by my wife. I was gifted a truck and the title states"gift". Can I sell MY truck before the divorce is over because it's NOT community property?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

Since you are the only one on the title, you can sell the truck. However, you need to keep a copy of the title to show that it was a gift directly to you and not a gift to the marriage. However, the judge could still find that it was marital property depending on the circumstances.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What circumstances would warrant it being community property? Basically i want to know what kind of trouble i would be in if the judge decided it was community property
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
If the judge decides it was community property you would owe her half the value of the truck. If you have had the truck for some time and used it for the family the judge may find that it is community property