GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti

In DeKalb County, Alabama how does the divorce system work.

In DeKalb County, Alabama how does the divorce system work. It used to be from the date the divorce was signed uncontested by both parties thart 60 days later the judge signed and you were divorced. Is that still the way it is or has the timelines changed?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Your divorce will be uncontested?
has anyone signed anything yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the divorce is uncontested and both parties have signed the papers.
I'm looking up the statute for the mean time when were the papers signed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
May 3, 2011
the statute does not specify but from what I was seeing on several sites it seems 60-90 days is the norm depending on the Judge and number of cases the judge has in front of him/her. If you do not get anything final by next week you can contact the Judge's Judicial Assistant and ask when you can expect a final order. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After the papers are signed by the Judge, how long before either party can remarry?
the statute states 60 days after the final order. so not before 60 days. I hope this helps clarify. thanks and please be sure to click ACCEPT so that I may be given credit for my time and answers. Best regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But after the Judge signs the papers, they are legally divorced. Correct?
Yes, that is correct. Once the judge signs the divorce is legal and the marriage is terminated. I hope that helps clarify. Thanks and don't forget to give credit by clicking ACCEPT which will not charge you anything extra. Best regards.