Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

My x girlfriend was served for temporary custody today. My

My x girlfriend was served for temporary custody today. My lawyer says she has 20 days to file a petition. Are these calculated in work days (5) or a week is 7 days? Thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You count the calender days. If the 20th day is a Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday, the date to respond is the next business day.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So the 20th of this Month is Wednesday. So I guess she has until Wednesday 3 weeks from now since she was officially served this afternoon July 1.
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
She would have until Thursday, the 21st to respond. You do not count the date of service

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers..

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.