Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

If a woman gives birth to a child, is unmarried, in the state

If a woman gives birth to a child, is unmarried, in the state of Maryland, What paternity rights does the biological father have to the child? What if the mother gives the child the biological father's last name on the birth certificate?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Justanswer.com.

Is the father listed on the child's birth certificate?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The child has not yet been born. The child is due in August 2011. Both biological parents are 27 years old (not minors).
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

Since the couple is unmarried, there is typically no presumption that the boyfriend is the father of the child, so he would have not parental rights at this point.

If he is added to the child's birth certificate, then the law would normally provide him with the same rights of visitation of the child and decision-making authority as the mother.

If the parents cannot agree on visitation or other issues with regard to the child, then a petition to establish parental rights should be filed with the local court after the child is born.

Good luck and take care.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.