Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

My child is 17 and wants to move from Texas to Florida with

My child is 17 and wants to move from Texas to Florida with me. She is currently with her mother and she does not want her to move her senior year. Is it lawful for her to move with me to Florida?
Submitted: 5 years ago via TexasChild-Custody.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

May I ask who currently has formal (legal) custody of the child? Does the mother have primary custody?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Thank you for your question.

In that case until you obtain custody yourself, the child cannot come and live with you. Until she turns 18 and becomes legally of age, your daughter cannot make such a determination on her own. It will require you going to court and requesting via a petition to modify custody, or have your daughter file via a G.A.L. (guardian ad litem) or via you to demand a change in custodial terms. In Texas a child cannot make such a decision on her own prior to obtaining majority, and while the courts do consider the child's wishes and do grant those wishes serious consideration, they can still choose to not follow the petition at their own discretion.

Hope that helps.