Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I just found out that I have a child that is 4 years of age.

I just found out that I have a child that is 4 years of age. The mother and child lives in another state. She contacted me and requested child support. I want to have a paternity test and she is not willing to come back to the state that we had the brief relationship in. What is next. She is threatening me and I have paid her $600 over 3 months since I found out about the child. What are my rights?, Can the courts force her to have a paternity test ? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX so confused.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Were you listed on the child's birth certificate as the father? Do you believe that the child is yours? What state is the child located in and where are you located in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I am not on the birth certificate. I don't believe it is mine.The child lives in Louisiana and I am in California.
Thank you for your follow-up.

In that case stop making payments and refuse to acknowledge the child as yours until and if she is able to consent to a paternity test. Regrettably for you, it may mean that you would have to travel to Louisiana for the paternity hearing and test as she does not have to come back up to California, but without proof of paternity or other claims, she cannot unilaterally force you to make payments for a child that has not been proven to be yours.

Good luck.