Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

Hello, I was told from friends that I was divorced, but I can

Customer Question

Hello, I was told from friends that I was divorced, but I can not find anything out for sure. I was married to abusive man and had to leave the state where we lived in south carolina. I am a single mom, not his children. I have no dates to give them so they say they cant help me at the court house, do you have any ideas what I can do. I am on SSI and dont have the money for all these online services that say they can find records and dont trust them.
thank you,
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

What county did you divorce take place in? When, how long ago, was the hearing? Just to be clear you contacted the courthouse and they found no information, correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it would of been greeville county in south carolina. I dont know when it would of taken place, as I said I had to flee the state. I called the office a few months ago, they had no information to give me cause I had no dates.
Thank you for your patience.

What you will need to do is contact the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control as they are the department that maintains records of ALL divorces that take place in South Carolina. You can either come and see them in person, or do everything by mail. The fee is $12 for a basic search and $17 for an expedited review. If there was ever a divorce granted under your name, they will find it. If they will not find anything, then you are likely still lawfully married.

Here is their information:

http://www.scdhec.gov/administration/vr/divorce.htm

Good luck!