Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.

My daughter and her boyfriend are breaking up. They got a

My daughter and her boyfriend are breaking up. They got a dog (for free) from a mutual friend, early on in their relationship. The dog was discovered to have heartworms and my husband and I paid the 800.00 it cost to have the dog treated. We have also paid for vaccinations here and there. The boyfriend says he wants the dog. My daughter wants it. Because of the money her family (us) paid, shouldn't she have more rights to the dog?  If they go to court over the dog, who is likely to win?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Pets are treated as personal property under the law. Where the pet was a gift to the two of them, they continue to own it jointly regardless of the break in their relationship. If one were to sue the other over ownership rights, the court would consider to what extent each of them had provided for the pet financially, taken care of veterinary care, and cared for the dog's everyday needs, such as feeding, walking, grooming, etc. That you paid for some of its care may not weigh so heavily on the court because you would not be a party to the issue of ownership. However, it may be considered.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.