How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101607
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my child is 17 years old and we just found out his girlfriend

Resolved Question:

my child is 17 years old and we just found out his girlfriend of less than a year is pregnant, she is also 17 years old. I have yet to talk to her parents as I just found out but my son has told her he is not ready to be a dad and she is obviously emotional and as a woman in love wants to have the baby. What options do we have as his parents to help him. They really don't know the full scope of what lies ahead and statistic show they probably won't make it together in the long run.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Well, this is a rather general question. What do you mean help him? What does he wish to do? What do you wish to do? Or do you want to know what his rights/responsibilities are?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He does not want the child. If she chooses to continue with the pregnancy what does that mean to him. He just graduated High School, has no job and is continuing his education by going to college.
We will support him in this matter and do what we need to do.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

Unfortunately, he has no choice in the matter is she chooses to keep the child and not put the child up for adoption. He'd be responsible for the child.

The Court decides on custody based on the rule of thumb of "best interest of the child." This includes, but is not limited to, general stability of the parent, financial stability, indoctrination of the child in the current school and environment, household condition and living condition of the child, other persons living in the house, etc.

The courts generally do not like to split the custody 50/50 since this is hard on the child – imagine having to move every half a year.

One parent usually becomes the main caretaker (in many states this is called the custodian) and the other parent becomes the "weekend" parent (often called the visiting parent) which is every Thursday, every other weekend, and alternating holidays. The minute points of the custody can either be decided by the parties or the Court, if the parties cannot come to an agreement.

Of course, that is the standard order of possession. That order can be modified if both parties agree or if the Court finds that it is an extraordinary situation.

He will also be responsible for child support:

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Ely and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you