lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

My exhusband and I have 3 children together, all under the

My exhusband and I have 3 children together, all under the age of 18, in New York state. He has been uemployed for a little over a year now and I received notice that he has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I understand that this action will not effect the court ordered child support, however, I have carried the medical, dental, prescription medication, prescription eyeglass insurance for the children and I have bills related to these services, that he is court ordered to pay 60% of. I have not received a payment for any of these for a year now. I plan on filing a violation petition within the next week however I want to know if he has already filed Chapter 7 will this abolish his ordered payment to pay his portion of these medical/dental bills?
Submitted: 5 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

The medical bills are considered a part of child support and cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.