lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

In 1993 my wife and I separated due to CPS and finalized the

In 1993 my wife and I separated due to CPS and finalized the divorce in 1995. I sent her a check every month for child support during that time. my daughter is 18yrs. old now and just graduated on 06/07/2011. I called to see when the CS would stop coming out of my ck. and was told I owe 13,047.00 in back CS.. Now this is 17yrs ago with no notice at all. I have tried to ck. or track my bank but they are only required to keep records for 7yrs. My ex is giving me a hard time signing an affidavitt.. so what to do next??????
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

You will need to file a motion in the family court to vacate the arrears. The judge will be the one that decides. You state that it was garnished out of your check. Your employer may have records. You can state that now it is prejudicial to claim that there are arrears when it has never been mentioned and the judge may vacate. I would suggest retaining an attorney to file for you,

http://www.martindale.com