Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

When I retire and go on social security, will the court reduce

When I retire and go on social security, will the court reduce my ex's current indefinite spousal support of 2750 per month to zero since I will not be earning any work income and she will be eligible for my social security.

Also, can the court request I reveal the amount of my assets in savings and IRA at this time and weigh this in their decision?

I live in Oregon
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

Yes you can seek a reduction in the amount you pay for spousal support but your assets such as savings and IRA would be disclosed and considered by the court. Oregon law permits courts to modify awards of spousal support upon a showing of a substantial change in circumstances. The party seeking to modify an award carries the burden of proving that such a substantial change has occurred. Typically, courts require that the change in circumstances is one that was not anticipated by the parties at the time of the original award.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, I do the right things by managing my money well for retirement, she spends her savings and most of the IRA she received upon divorce and I would still be paying her spousal support after I retire out of my savings until she dies? Even after she goes on social security?

Is this right?

Where is the justice here?
No lawyer can predict what will happen in court. This new question you're asking would require sitting down and reviewing you and your exwife's financials which cannot be done. You are asking for a change in the payment amount and the court will view your ability to continue payment as required by the current court order based upon you current financial situation.