RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Is there a limit to how long you have to serve the respondent

Is there a limit to how long you have to serve the respondent after filing for divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information.

Yes there is. Pursuant to California Rule of Civil Procedure 583.210, a "

summons and complaint shall be served upon a defendant within three years after the action is commenced against the defendant. For the purpose of this subdivision, an action is commenced at the time the complaint is filed."

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can the respondent file for divorce while there is a case already filed?
No, if a case has been filed, and the respondent files for divorce, the case would be dismissed. If it's been a long period of time since the petitioner/plaintiff filed suit but has not served the respondent, the respondent could file a motion asking that petitioner's case be dismissed. The court has authority to dismiss a case due to inactivity by a party if they feel it is in the best interest of justice.