Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

Hi! I want to ask you, I am living in USA 2,5 years, and

I want to ask you, I am living in USA 2,5 years, and my boyfriend he lives in lithuania, I was on vacation over there and I got pregnent, we want to get married after baby born, because I am scare to go by plain right now, he can not come in USA so how we can give fathers last name for our baby when he will come in this world?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

What state are you in?

What is the reason that your baby's father is unable to travel to the USA?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am in NY, my boyfriend went to ambassy they did not gave him visa, now it is allmost inposible to get visa, i dont know why, so we want to wait till I will have american citizenship. Just now we will have baby and he wants to give his last name, how can we do it if we can not see each other till baby born?

I thought that Lithuanians can travel to the US for up to 3 months on a visa waiver program?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, he was here 2 years ago for two months, but he went back to Lithuania and he ask for visa in ambassy and they said no, and after that he can not use that non visa program any more...
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Ok, generally for a child that is born in NY, an unmarried father who is not present in the USA at the time the baby is born is unable to sign a birth certificate.

However if the father signs and notarizes/obtains appostile for Affidavit of Paternity, he can be added to the birth certificate.

You can find more information on this official NY link:

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.