How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son, soon to be 17 wants to live with me. My Ex and I have

Resolved Question:

My son, soon to be 17 wants to live with me. My Ex and I have joint legal custody (he resides with her she has Physical custody) but she says no he can't. I don't want support and don't care if I keep paying her as she still as my youngest (13). What are my chances if I go back to court? She has in the past given me 2 of my other children, the fisrt was 14 at the time and the second was 15. Both are now adults 21 and 22.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

The child is subject to the custody order of the court until the child reaches the age of 18. However custody is subject to modification based upon a change in circumstances affecting the best interests of the child. The preference of a 17-year-old would be considered sufficient cause to petition the court for modification. A court will typically give great weight to a 17-year-olds preference.
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you