Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

My son, soon to be 17 wants to live with me. My Ex and I have

My son, soon to be 17 wants to live with me. My Ex and I have joint legal custody (he resides with her she has Physical custody) but she says no he can't. I don't want support and don't care if I keep paying her as she still as my youngest (13). What are my chances if I go back to court? She has in the past given me 2 of my other children, the fisrt was 14 at the time and the second was 15. Both are now adults 21 and 22.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

The child is subject to the custody order of the court until the child reaches the age of 18. However custody is subject to modification based upon a change in circumstances affecting the best interests of the child. The preference of a 17-year-old would be considered sufficient cause to petition the court for modification. A court will typically give great weight to a 17-year-olds preference.