Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

I am handling my divorce papers without a lawyer and would

Customer Question

I am handling my divorce papers without a lawyer and would like to know if I have the proper documents in place so that I can serve my husband the papers. We are filing a no fault divorce in California and have prepared a marriage settlement agreement. I know that I need a petition-marriage form and the summons form. I also understand that we need the UCCJEA form for our two children. Is there anything else that I am missing? Please let me know. I don't want to send the papers and have it come back because I didn't complete a document.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When you say that you've prepared a settlement agreement, I'm not sure if you mean that you already did a Property Declaration form. If you didn't, you would file that with the other documents.

You'll also need the Proof of Service, after the forms are filed, and you should note that you have to serve your husband with a blank response form in addition to the Petition and the Summons.

Or, if you're serving him by mail, send the Acknowledgment of Receipt form instead. If the divorce is uncontested, he may agree to let you serve him by mail.