Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If my income is $10000/month and I am required to pay 50% or

If my income is $10000/month and I am required to pay 50% or $5000/month in spousal support, do I pay tthe upfront taxes on the spousal support or are my taxes based on the remaining $5000 during the tax year ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

This depends on your decree, but generally speaking, spousal support is deductible by the payor and is included as income by the recipient ex-spouse. This is true if the spousal support is deducted automatically from your paycheck, but you may wish to confirm that this is the case with your payroll department.

If there is no such automatic withdrawal, then you may request an adjustment from the IRS at the end of the year for the spousal support paid.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-attorneyeli/

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand it would be deducted directly from my check, if that is the case can I expect my monthly net income to be $5000 less taxes or will I be required to pay taxes upfront on the spousal support and wait until I file my next years tax return to get the tax credit ?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

I understand it would be deducted directly from my check, if that is the case can I expect my monthly net income to be $5000 less taxes...

Indeed, that would be the case, and you would pay taxes only on what you actually receive.