P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

The father of my grandson physically abused my daughter. He

Customer Question

The father of my grandson physically abused my daughter. He went to jail and is out now. My daughter and grandson live with me. The father comes to visit his son but always causes mental and emotional stress on me and my daughter. He comes whenever he gets ready and leaves when he feels like it. He tries to tell me how to run my house and what to watch on TV. He also doesn't approve of the way we take care of his son. He has stormed out of the house angry several times because of his anger. I want to tell him to stay away from my house. This will not enable him to see his son. What are his rights as a sperm donor and my daughter's rights as the mother?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The court is the only one who can limit rights. So unless or until a court limits his rights to the child he has full rights.

At the same time, as the grandparent you have no rights to the child unless or until a court grants you rights.

If you want custody, hire a lawyer and file a case with the court...if you can show it will be in the best interest of the child (what you say? I think it would be ) the court will grant you custody.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't want custody as the grandparent. My daughter wants full custody. This is my house and I should have the right to say who comes and goes here. Can I ban him from coming to my house?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
He got the information all wrong.
Yes...you can certainly ban him from your home...its your home.