Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I am in the process of divorce. The divorce filing has occurred.

I am in the process of divorce. The divorce filing has occurred. If I were to use funds from a joint account as a down payment for a car, will I be putting myself into an area where I can be in trouble with the divorce process?
If I were to spend money from joint accounts on legal costs, again can I be putting myself into an area where I can be in a bad spot with the divorce process?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

The answer is likely no. A joint account - by definition - is community property until/unless proven otherwise via motion in a hearing by a party. Ergo, you are free to use joint assets as you wish until the Court renders temporary orders that restricts the parties' use of the assets while the divorce is pending.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”