Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

I have been caring for my 90 year old Mom for the past six

I have been caring for my 90 year old Mom for the past six years. She has suffered from many strokes, and at this time is completely incapacitated. She is unable to feed or drink anything on her own and is incapable of getting up out of bed and must be transported to Doctors appointments via ambulance.

Now that she is unable to care for herself in anyway, as well as hospice comes into my home at this time, isn't it against Florida law or any laws put forth by the U.S. Government to leave her home alone and unattended or with someone under the age of eighteen years of age?

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

In Florida is she is not able to care for herself then it would be neglect.

825.102 Abuse, aggravated abuse, and neglect of an elderly person or disabled adult; penalties.--

(3)(a) "Neglect of an elderly person or disabled adult" means:

1. A caregiver's failure or omission to provide an elderly person or disabled adult with the care, supervision, and services necessary to maintain the elderly person's or disabled adult's physical and mental health, including, but not limited to, food, nutrition, clothing, shelter, supervision, medicine, and medical services that a prudent person would consider essential for the well-being of the elderly person or disabled adult; or

2. A caregiver's failure to make a reasonable effort to protect an elderly person or disabled adult from abuse, neglect, or exploitation by another person.

Neglect of an elderly person or disabled adult may be based on repeated conduct or on a single incident or omission that results in, or could reasonably be expected to result in, serious physical or psychological injury, or a substantial risk of death, to an elderly person or disabled adult.