Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

what can i do if i didnt show up for my child support cour

what can i do if i didnt show up for my child support court?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

This depends - what was the reason that you did not show up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well i didnt have tthe money thhat they were asking me for, and i didnt want it to go to jail i have a son of 4 months that depends on me. but i know that i have done wrong on doing this and i need to know what to do next.
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Not showing up is the last thing you want to do. If you show up, you can at least explain that you are not paying not because you do not want to, but because you cannot. While you may be held in contempt, jail is the last resort unless the Court feels that you have been lying, disrespecting the Judge, or hiding money and not paying while having the ability to do so. Usually, the Judge will work out a fast-track payment schedule - as long as you try, the Court will not jail you.

It is nine in the morning at the moment. I would call the Court and tell them that you are coming, and go. While the Court will not be happy that you are late, it is better than not showing up at all, where the other side will get an automatic judgment against you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-attorneyeli/

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok i understand and thank you, XXXXX XXXXX would happen if i dont go not because i dnt want to but because i cant make it on time, i live about 45m from down town and i still have to get ready. i need to know what i can do next/

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
If you do not go, you have the option of:

1 - not doing anything, be held in contempt, and hopefully the Court will not file a warrant against you for jail.

2 - you can file a Motion for Reconsideration later and request that the matter be revisited, but the Court will want to know a good reason why you skipped the hearing.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eli thank you for your help. do you think i need to hire a lawyer?

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello friend,

Yes, I really do. And do not worry, the Court is not allowed to consider you hiring an attorney as evidence of ability to pay.

Ely, Counselor at Law