Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

What is the process in the court after annulment complaint

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 5 years ago.

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. When you say that you sent an annulment complaint, in what state or country did that occur? Do you prefer a divorce or an annulment?

Steven Kincaid :

Is there a reason that you would prefer to continue in Thailand, rather than in the state where you now reside?

JACUSTOMER-y46cjuda- :

We did an annulment in the state of Virginia as our lawyer has advised.

JACUSTOMER-y46cjuda- :

We were married in Thailand, and under Thai law, we are still considered married. I don't want my wife to file for claiming the child support there while we are still considered in a "marriage" state.

Steven Kincaid :

In Virginia, to complete an annulment, you would have to schedule a hearing through the circuit court clerk's office. If the annulment is contested, you and your wife (or your lawyers) must agree on a trial date approved by the judge's office, and some localities require additional paperwork. Once the hearing is scheduled, prepare to present evidence that the marriage is fraudulent or void. Provide at least one corroborating witness who can attest to the invalidity of the marriage. Can I ask on what basis you are applying for annulment?

Steven Kincaid :

I cannot advise on Thai law since I practice in the United States. Whether or not you can divorce in Thailand depends on Thai law. In the United States, an annulment would declare your marriage to be invalid and there would be no reason for a divorce.

Steven Kincaid :

What does the DNA have to do with the annulment?