How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33102
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our ex son in law works on Saturdays,we asked to have our granddaughter(biological)for

Customer Question

Our ex son in law works on Saturdays,we asked to have our granddaughter(biological)for the day while he worked and he said no because his new wife and her son wanted to spend time with her.He also lets her spend the night with his new mother in law but not with us.Do we have right to spend time with her before them when he's not available during his visitation?Our daughter lives 2 hours away but he lives within 30 minutes from us.We watched this child as well as his mom did when he was in Iraq and our daughter was working and going to school.We really miss seeing her this doesn't seem right.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
In Indiana courts can grant grandparents visitation rights if:

1) The grandchild’s parent is dead;
2) The marriage of the grandchild’s parents ended in divorce; or
3) The child was born outside of marriage.

If those factors are met and the court determine that it is in the child's best interest, which based on your facts and the contact you had with the child this is obvious, then you can get visitation.

To get this you will have to file a Petition for Grandparent's Visitation and you really should hire a lawyer to assist you because the procedures must be followed to the letter.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Related Family Law Questions