GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti

My sister is getting married this July,2011. She only has known

My sister is getting married this July,2011. She only has known this person for 2 months. WHat I am wondering is, can he legally take her house if they got divorced? It is in her name only. Is it best to not put his name on the deed so that if things go wrong he cannot take her home away from her.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

worse case if they divorce he would be entitled to 50% of any increased value of the home during the marriage or any part of improvements that he made. not putting his name on the deed will certainly make sure she is awarded the house in the event of a divorce and limit any claim he has to the increased value during the marriage. I hope that helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.