JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

My sons best friend, a 17 year old girl, (and they are just

Customer Question

My son's best friend, a 17 year old girl, (and they are just friends) has a very abusive family and we are wondering how to get her out of this situation and move in with us. She thought she would do an emancipation, but she realized she needs to have an income to do this. She has one more year of high school and would like to finish it in a home that cares about her well being. I would love to have her come and live with us, but I don't know where to begin. Do I need to do this lilke a foster home and get licensed? Please advise. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
Will her parents agree?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
The problem is that if her parents won't agree, there is no way to get custody of her or get her to move in your home other than her somehow being "removed" from her parents. Emancipation is one way, but you are right in that the court isn't likely to grant it unless there is some type of emergency situation and/or she can support herself. You don't have what is known as "standing" to seek custody.

Getting established as a foster home doesn't do anything because the child will still have to be removed from her parents and, again, you don't have custody to do so.

She can report the abuse herself and ask CPS to remove her and allow her to live with you which they may be willing to do without you going through all the problems associated with being a foster home.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much information/proof is needed for her to call CPS? She doesn't have any physical proof, but she is mentally and physically abused on a regular basis. She has a younger sister and she doesn't want to have her removed because she is fine with the parents. The parents seem to resent the older daughter because they had her at 16 when they were just teens.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
If she tells them she is being abused and is afraid that should do it at her age. There usually won't be any evidence other than the child's testimony although occasionally the parent will leave bruises, etc.

JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience: Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But what about the younger sister? She doesn't get the same treatment as the older sister.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
Then the girl can tell them that as well. CPS doesn't automatically remove all children if there is a complaint.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To: JD 1992

But what about the younger sister? She doesn't get the same treatment as the older sister. Would CPS pull them both?

If she calls CPS does she have the option to go to my home to keep her safe. She is so afraid to let them know because she would be fearful of her father. He has basically threatened her on a regular basis that he would hurt her.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
CPS could pull both of them, but if the older child tells them the younger one is treated fine they likely wouldn't. CPS would likely let her choose where to live at her age, or at least most offices would.

However, I've found that CPS can't always be counted on to be rational or consistent.