Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

There is a paragraph in our divorce papers which we have signed

There is a paragraph in our divorce papers which we have signed off by both lawyers
and submitted to the court for filing. This was an out of court settlement.
I am getting ready to vacate the home and need to know whether my husband
has to pay me upon vacating the property or does it need to be signed by the judge before I get the money. The paragraph reads:
"$270,000 shall be paid within (7) days of the entry of the judgement and wife vacating
the residence located atXXXXX Poway CA"
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

If it is not yet signed by the judge than it is simply a contract between the parties and if either party breaches the contract, it could be grounds for a breach of contract suit. Once the judge signs off on it, then it becomes a court order which can be enforced by contempt of court.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".