Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

can an usa immigrant travel outside usa if i owe child support

Customer Question

can an usa immigrant travel outside usa if i owe child support $ 20000
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: can an usa immigrant travel outside usa if i owe child support $ 20000

Response: Yes, you are not restricted from travelling if you owe child support.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does it mean that i dont have to ask permission to child support for me to travel? and from what i understand that if a usa citizen owe child support more than $2,500 the passport if revoke. Do i fall under that law too? even im a green card holder?

does it mean that i dont have to ask permission to child support for me to travel?

Response 1: Yes, that what it means.

and from what i understand that if a usa citizen owe child support more than $2,500 the passport if revoke.

Response 2: I am not aware of that law. The law only states that you would not be able to get a passport if you owe $2,500.00 or more. This is not the same thing as cancelling a passport that has already been issued. See the link to the information regarding child support here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_863.html

http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/51-70-denial-passports-19721183

Do i fall under that law too? even im a green card holder

Response 3: I am not aware of the law applying to green card holders:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The link that you provide me does not answer my question, as a green card holder will ill be able to travel outside USA?

Response: On the contrary, the links that I provided to you did answer your question. There is nowhere in the contents of the laws in those links that say that green card holders are not allowed to travel outside the United States if they owe child support. All the laws I found deal with the ability of a U.S. Citizen to get a passport to travel when he or she owes child support for $2,500.00 or more. I have NOT seen anywhere in my research where a law says that a green holder cannot travel outside the United States because she/he owes child support. Thus, as a green card holder you would be able to travel outside the United States even if you owe child support. However, not paying child support as ordered by the Court goes to your moral turpitude and would affect your chances of getting your naturalization application approved if or when you apply for naturalization. So, if owe child support, you need to pay it to avoid any problems in the future.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can child support revoke my passport if im a green card holder? And if i dont ask permission to child support for my travel, am i gonna have a pr

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can child support revoke my passport if im a green card holder? And if i dont ask permission to child support for my travel, am i gonna have a problem coming back?

Can child support revoke my passport if im a green card holder?

Response 1: No. As a green holder, you do not have a United States of America passport. So, United States Government cannot revoke your foreign passport.

And if i dont ask permission to child support for my travel, am i gonna have a problem coming back?

Response 2: No. There is nothing in the current law that requires you to get permission from child support enforcement agency before you can travel.

This is my final response to your original post. If you have other questions, you need to open a new post.