Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

If a 401k was started during marriage, then drops in value

Customer Question

If a 401k was started during marriage, then drops in value after separation and contributions continue after marriage, how is the percentage calculated?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You would typically determine the value of the property at the time of separation and that would represent marital property that was "acquired during the marriage". The loss in value following separation would normally not be viewed as relevant in determining the value of the property.

Good luck and take care.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don't choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.