Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I have a child who tried to commit suicide 2 months ago, Her school, and emergency room as

I have a child who tried to commit suicide 2 months ago, Her school, and emergency room assessed her as high risk, she was then hospitalized for 9 days until the crisis subsided. Since then, she is on medication and weekly therapy. However, she is still fragile and whil be going to partial hospitalization in three weeks to receive intensive treatment. Her psychiatrist just switched her medication to try to stabilize her. Her father just called me on Friday demanding that I give him the dorctor's information so that he can review my daughter's case with him. He is angry that she is on medication and in general does not trust the mental health system. I have primary custody of the three girls. Can the father stop my daughter from recieving proper treatment if he does not agree with her reciving medication?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me:
Does your parenting plan state who will make medical decisions?
What is your daughter's age?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will make the medical decisions and my daughter is 15 years of age.

Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Since the parenting plan gives you the authority to make medical decisions for your daughter, the father does not have the right to discontinue treatment for your daughter.

In addition the father does not have a right to her psychiatric records. In New Jersey children aged 14 and older have a right to privacy and confidentiality of their psychiatric mental health and substance abuse treatment records. The records can only be released -- even to a parent -- with the child's written consent.

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer.