lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

I live in NY, my Fiance lives in Wisconsin, where we are to

Customer Question

I live in NY, my Fiance lives in Wisconsin, where we are to be married. My former wife left me in January 2010, and divorced me from the state of Missouri, which became final on January 13 this year. My fiance and I have made all arrangements to be married on July 2 of this year, and to our horror, discovered that Wisconsin has a 6 month waiting period without any exceptions. First, can our wedding ceremony legally proceed and, second, do you have any advise on how to work through this in Wisconsin?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

Are you planning on living in Wisconsin or NY?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Wisconsin.

Lets explore one possible option. The scheduled wedding is 7/2. The 6 month period is 7/13. In wisconsin one must state the date and officiant on the application for marriage license. If we get our marriage license and schedule a "followup" ceremony with the officiant on the 13th or 14th, having this date as our marriage date, can the officiant conduct the religious wedding on the 2nd and we are officially married on the 13th, without the officiant being subject of issues? The WI law reads that a marriage license must be in hand, not specifically that the officiant cannot conduct two ceremonies, with the actual date of marriage being on the second date. Just a thought toward a solution.

Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
There should not be a problem with handling it in that fashion. Good luck to you and your bride.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found out today that you cannot get the marriage license "in hand" until after the 6 month period. How does this effect your response. You might want to take a read of WI 765.03
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Check with the minister. It is not unusual to have a religious ceremony and then a civil one.