Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

An attorney wants to include a clause for child-support to

An attorney wants to include a clause for child-support to be modified in a change of custody petition, despite that the client has stated that they have no desire to obtain child-support from the other party.

To clarify, they wish to abolish child-support from being sought/obtained by either party.

They feel that other evidence of neglect and abuse are substantial but are still being advised to take this action.

Why?
Thank you for your question.

The reason is because generally child support is mandatory rather than optional. Child support is designed to cover the child's needs by a responsible parent (even a parent that is absentee or non-custodial). That is why for a judge to actually permit a custodial order to take place of some kind , a child support petition must also be included with the documentation.

Good luck.