Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I am a divorced father who allowed my sons Ohio-resident step-father to adopt him 6+

I am a divorced father who allowed my son's Ohio-resident step-father to adopt him 6+ years ago by the mother's request indicating it was the child's desire. (It was not - but not sure that matters.# Since, the mother has re-developed a serious drinking problem and has been physically and emotionally/mentally abusive to the child. The mother made an oral agreement to tell the child where I #biological father# XXXXX be reached. She did not keep that contract. The child is 16 #17 in June) and ran away from home and to me to get away from the mother's behavior. Am I able to re-gain custody, and gain primary custody, due to either the child's desire or the mother's behavior?

.

I hate to tell you this, but once you terminated your parental rights and agreed to allow the child to be adopted, all your legal rights and obligations to him were severed. As such, you couldn't get any type of custody because you are legally unrelated to the child even though he is your biological son.

.

When someone is legally adopted, it cuts off any legal relationship with the biological parent. So you would have no legal standing to petition the courts for any custody. However, when the child turns 18, you could legally adopt him with his consent since he would be an adult. But at 18 he could live where he wants to anyway, so it wouldn't make a real difference.

.

So at this point, mother and step father could legally compel him to return because he is a minor by filing a police report with him as a runaway. If law enforcement found out where he is they could take him into custody and return him to them. But the question is whether they would actually do so as he would likely just run away again.

.

I know this is not the news you had hoped for.

.

.

thanks

.If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.

There may be a time lag between my replies as I am typically working with several customers at any given time, but rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.