Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

My husband has borrowed about $500,00.00 from me in the

My husband has 'borrowed' about $500,00.00 from me in the past several years. He has paid me back a small bit of it, and I am not sure when he can pay the rest. He does want to pay me back asap. Meanwhile, I just found out he has been cheating on me, don't how long or with how many women. He has bought over $130,00.00 dollars worth of art since the day we married, (1995) that I know of. I am sure there are more receipts, just not here at home.
One of my questions is, in Georgia, if we go through a divorce, am I able to receive any money from the money spent on this art, of which I knew almost nothing about, and was pleading to him for $ for years. I do have money of my own, of which I have allowed him to take complete advantage of. Will I be punished for having money?
If he made these purchases during marriage, then the art would be considered marital property capable of division in a divorce. The fact he is committing adultery means that your chances of getting a larger portion of the equitable distribution of the marital property is great. Also, the money you "loaned" if that was your separate money (from before marriage or from inheritance) then hopefully you have those documented with some written loan agreements to stop him from claiming later that the money was gift.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would assume, then, whatever I have purched since the marriage would also be divided equitably, like an oriental rug???
Correct, all assets and debts that came into the marriage during the course of the marriage would be subject to the equitable division of the marital property unless there was a prenuptial agreement to the contrary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the fact he has never paid me a dime for living in this "home' of ours, which I own, for 14 years? In other words, he has been living free here for 14 years. How much of my stupiidty will this cost me?
The contributions of each party to the marriage is a factor considered in the equitable division of the property so the fact he has not contributed to the marriage financially would be in your favor on the division of the property.