lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

Can hair strand drug testing be ordered in a texas child custody

Can hair strand drug testing be ordered in a texas child custody case and how common is it to be ordeted instead of urine testing?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

If there is some evidence of drug usage the judge can order the drug test. It is common to use the hair strand test rather than the urine test since the hair test gives a better long term indication.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if all body hair was shaved would the new hair test positive?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Yes and if they report that to the judge you could be held in contempt of court for trying to avoid the test.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could you clarify your previous answer? For example, if a person has not used drugs for two months and shaved all body hair would new hair growth test positive for drugs?
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Yes it would. However, the judge would see that as an attempt to deceive and hold that by simply doing that you have admitted to taking drugs.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am assuming that "Yes it would" means that the new hair growth after shaving would test positive. Is this correct, even if drugs have not been used for over 2 months. The client could shave now and grow hair until court date in two more months so no one would know the client ever shaved.
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Is this correct, even if drugs have not been used for over 2 months.

That depends on a lot of other factors and there is no way to give you a definitive answer.