Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

A year ago I let a friend borrow a certain amount of money.

A year ago I let a friend borrow a certain amount of money. Only half was paid back, but I can not collect the balance of the loan. Unfortunately I did not get anything in writing - a Verbal Contract. Is there any repercussion(s) I can do to collect?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

I am a Florida attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me:
When did your friend last make a payment?
How much does he currently owe you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She paid $500 2 weeks after lending her $1000, with a promise of the balance in another 2 weeks. So, I still haven't received the $500. This all started April 2010.
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Despite the fact that your agreement is not in writing, you may file suit to collect the monies owed to you.

You can consider filing suit in small claims court. Small claims court does not require an attorney and has low filing fees. You can go to the Clerk of the Courts office, Small Claims Division In the County where your friend resides. The clerk can give you the forms that you need to file and assist you with the filing.

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer.